Pattern Testing/ Linda Jo Release

Hey guys!

This post is going to be a little different, It is going to be about my experience as both a pattern tester and a designer. Over the last year I really embraced the crafting community, mainly through Instagram, and it embraced me back. Through them I was able to find confidence in my skills and I made some great friends!

So I should backtrack to when I was like ten scrolling around for patterns. First of all I was one of those people who would NEVER EVER pay for a pattern because I thought I could figure it out on my own, and I was you know... POOR. I thought that it was selfish for someone to charge for something that I could figure out by looking at the picture. I would search the internet for free pattern websites for hours (Thank heavens for Pinterest-- AM I RIGHT) and I would still end up free handing most of the time. It was not pretty, I made some odd things back then.

Fast forward to last year when I was making spiders all Fall long. I got a quite a few requests for a pattern and I really thought it was going to be easy. Boy was I wrong, DESIGNING IS HARD! Explaining my line of thinking was a very difficult thing for me to do, so that initial pattern has been lost in my computer, to be visited at another date. Around that time, I started testing patterns for an amazing designer who has become one of my favorite people on the internet-- Ravin Sekai Designs
Here are some of the things I've tested for her


 
 Sunset Static Shawl- Left
Even Berry Pumpkins- Middle
Amanda Headband- Right


As a pattern tester I gained a real respect for pattern designers. Not only do they have to have the creativity to come up with this gorgeous garment or object, but they have to make sure that they can explain it to someone else as well. I've also learned new techniques from these amazing women (and men) and they're just a fountain of knowledge. If you're struggling, they want to know and they WILL help you to understand. They truly embrace the community over competition mentality! The community gives you the confidence to experiment and find things you're truly passionate about making.

Another great thing that you gain from these pattern tests is that you make friends with the others participating in the test. Starting out with a small following you don't really get a lot of feedback, but making these meaningful connections helps to motivate you and you get to do the same for someone else. You are cheering each other on and that feels amazing. These women are funny as heck too, the group chats are HILARIOUS, my fiancé looks at me like I'm crazy sometimes.

Now that I've participated in some of these pattern testings, I've decided to try my hand at designing again. I was much more successful this time around. I made this beautiful cabled beanie pattern and I sent it out to testers. I didn't have too many to test it but I feel like I got the gist of what its like to go through the design pattern. Like I said before, it's hard designing, you go and put your creative spirit into a piece and you hope that the world accepts your child. The amazing women who tested my Linda Jo Beanie gave me so much insight and truly helped whip my pattern into shape. They gave me their concerns such as personal preferences as well as deciphering my grammar. Now this beauty is out in the world and I can move forward with my hobby turned business and I continue trying new things. 

Long story short-- there's no downside in trying your hand at designing or testing others patterns. You get to encounter amazing people and maybe you'll learn something new! As long as you can meet the requirements they outline prior to the test, you should totally go for it! 

If you want to check out Rachel's blog, click the link to her page-- she releases free patterns as well as PDFs that you can buy to support her.
The Linda Jo beanie is also available for purchase on Etsy-- pattern as well as physical garment


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puff Stitch Pumpkins Pattern Release!

Money Bag Keychain Pattern

Pumpkins!!!